Portland

Portland, Oregon is my favorite city. I am sharing my thought and visits to different places in this fabulous city. It's a great place to visit; just don't move here. We have enough already. Just kidding, we love everyone. Which means we are really nice, too.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Give It Up For Sam!


Portland’s Wonder Ballroom is a joint where entertainers wow their fans. Recently it was host to Sam Adams in his bid to gain the mayor’s seat. Adam’s well organized team of campaign volunteers had the place ready to accept financial contributions, additional volunteers to get the vote out, and especially, to provide those who packed the place, a place to meet, greet, and be entertained.

I was one of the volunteers who roamed the floor to thank people for coming, and to get them to commit to being more actively involved. With me was my photographer, Horace Long, who was the official campaign photographer of Sam Adams.

In the corners were booths where people had their photos taken. These photos would be placed on the campaign walls for inspiration. Each person held a small neighborhood -identifying sign with their name written on it. There was such a sense of community!

Trays and trays of food were donated by local eateries and were gobbled up by the masses.

A couple of groups entertained. First up was El Cuadro Solo Flamenco, a group who actually teaches flamenco dancing.











Then the Mistress of Ceremonies, female impersonator, Poison Waters, spoke. She was stunning in a golden gown, and her hair and makeup were flawless.

Waters introduced the man of the hour, Sam Adams, who glowed in the limelight and shared his desires for a better Portland. Then a video was aired that featured our man from sunup to sundown.





When Sam reluctantly left the stage, Casey Neill & the Norway Rats, played their music for the enthusiastic crowd.


When I arrived, I was one of sixty volunteers who would guide the attendees throughout the night. When I left, the place was packed. Sam had estimated there would be 600 people, and I bet he was right.




What is great about an event like this is that you see so many people you know. I was enjoying reconnecting with people I hadn’t seen in a long time. I had a great time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home